Email marketing is a powerful tool that can help you grow your business, connect with your audience, and boost your sales. If you've been putting off starting your email list because it seems complicated, let us assure you that it's simpler than you might think.
Kendra Swalls is here to break down the process into three easy steps, but before we dive into the “how,” let's briefly discuss the “why.”
Want to watch a video version of this post instead? We've got you covered!
3 Easy Steps to Get Started with Email Marketing
Why Email Marketing?
Before we delve into the practical steps, it's essential to understand why email marketing is crucial for your business. Here are three compelling reasons:
- Reliability: Unlike social media, where you don't own your audience, with email marketing, you have control. If a social media platform shuts down or changes its algorithm, your audience could disappear. Email lists are assets you own and can take with you, regardless of platform changes.
- Staying Front of Mind: Email allows you to connect directly with your audience and remain top-of-mind. Unlike social media, where content quickly gets buried in feeds, emails sit in your subscribers' inboxes until they decide to read them.
- Return on Investment: Email marketing offers an excellent return on investment. It's a cost-effective way to engage with your audience and turn subscribers into customers. Plus, it's a more focused medium, as your subscribers are already interested in your content.
Now that we understand the “why” let's move on to the “how.”
Getting Started with Email Marketing in 3 Simple Steps
Step 1: Choose an Email Platform
The first step in starting your email marketing journey is to select the right email platform for your business. Popular email marketing platforms include ConvertKit, MailChimp and many more. Here are some factors to consider when choosing a platform:
- Features: Different platforms offer various features, such as automation, list segmentation, and analytics. Choose one that aligns with your business needs.
- Ease of Use: Look for a platform that matches your technical skills. Some platforms are more user-friendly than others, making it easier to get started.
- Scalability: Consider how your email list might grow in the future. Choose a platform that can accommodate your future needs.
- Pricing: Email platforms offer various pricing tiers. Select one that fits your budget, especially if you're just starting.
Remember, you can always migrate your list to a different platform if your needs change over time!
Step 2: Build Your Email List
Once you've set up your email platform, it's time to start building your email list. Here's how:
- Create a Lead Magnet: Offer something valuable to your audience in exchange for their email addresses. This could be an eBook, a checklist, a webinar, or any resource that addresses a specific problem your audience faces.
- Opt-In Forms: Place opt-in forms on your website, blog, and social media profiles. Make it easy for people to subscribe to your list.
- Landing Pages: Create dedicated landing pages for your lead magnets. These pages should highlight the value of your offer and encourage visitors to subscribe.
- Content Promotion: Promote your lead magnets through your content. Mention them in blog posts, videos, and podcasts to drive sign-ups.
Step 3: Build Connections with Your Subscribers
Building an email list is not enough; you must also nurture your subscribers' relationships. Here's how:
- Welcome Emails: Set up an automated welcome email series to greet new subscribers. Introduce yourself, explain what they can expect from your emails, and make them feel valued.
- Consistent Email Marketing: Maintain regular communication with your subscribers. Whether you choose to send emails weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly, consistency is key.
- Provide Value: Every email you send should offer value to your subscribers. Share valuable content, tips, and insights related to your niche.
- Engage and Interact: Encourage interaction by asking questions, conducting surveys, and inviting feedback. The more engaged your subscribers are, the stronger the connection.
Starting email marketing for your business is more straightforward than you might think. By following these three simple steps, you can begin building a valuable asset for your brand. Remember the “why” behind email marketing – reliability, staying front of mind, and return on investment – as you embark on your journey to connect with your audience through email.